The Andrews family were very interesting people. They settled in the Tuckerton area in the late 1600s. The two brothers were Edward and Mordecai. Mordecai Andrews settled on the West Side of the Tuckerton creek, Edward settled on the East Side of Tuckerton Creek.
Mordecai and his family were Quakers. He and his family built a house with 2 1/2 floors. It was built in 1699 and today is probably the oldest house in Ocean County. The house had beaded ceiling boards and was very simple. Additions to the house have enlarged the original structure. It is difficult to tell where the original structure stands because of the additions made to the home. However lower ceilings, wide floor boards, mortise and tenion support, and bark covered logs in the roof structure, indicate construction several hundred years old. Aside from its present poor condition and repair, the structure is relatively strong today. In the northwest corner of the homestead, there is a large Boxwood Tree, which today is possibly more than two hundred years old.
Edward Andrews opened a sawmill. He also opened a gristmill. He was a Quaker and in 1702 donated land whERE he built the Friends Meeting House, and graveyard.
Click on each picture to view a larger image
|The bark covered logs in the roof stucture.||Mr. McAnney next to door. People who lived here must have been short.|
|Roof rafter that lays diagonal on the chimney is or may have been the original roof line of the house.||Living room fireplace.|
|Ladder leading to roof.
|Stairway leading to the second floor.||Giant Boxwood in front of house.|
|This is a picture of the kitchen.|
|This is a
picture of the fireplace with the date 1699 in the center top brick.
|Chairs in backroom.|